- 32 Scotstown Road, Bridge of Don, Aberdeen, AB23 8HG
- £33,083 - £34,773 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36.25 hours per week
- Work From Home:
The application page will open in a new window.
First started by Aberdeen University students as a soup kitchen, Aberdeen Cyrenians now put the needs of North East Scotland's most vulnerable and socially excluded people first — leading at the frontline of service, care and influence for 50+ years.
Aberdeen Cyrenians work continuously to shift perceptions and change the outlook on homelessness and vulnerability in society — the reality often differs drastically from the 'labels' that people use when thinking of those who need support. Not accepting the current perception of homelessness is something that underpins Aberdeen Cyrenians' work. Our approach puts the reality of these situations front and centre.
This reality reminds us that anyone can find themselves in difficulty, and Aberdeen Cyrenians exist to support anyone and everyone — whether they're living on the street, at high financial risk, in an abusive living situation, struggling with mental health issues, struggling with substance addiction or involved in the justice system. Our core values support a mission that prioritises close assistance, unique care and standing steadfastly by people in the midst of their most vulnerable moments.
It's the passion and integrity of Aberdeen Cyrenians that makes us a formidable force against homelessness, abuse, violence and social exclusion — we make a lifechanging difference when working alongside the people who need their support the most.
Join our team and make a real difference every day
Working at Aberdeen Cyrenians, you will be helping vulnerable people, who are often at the margins of society, every single day. You will be helping them to build a positive future, resolve their current issues and move towards positive outcomes.
In addition to competitive rates of pay, we offer both on the job and formal training, support achieving professional qualifications and good career prospects.
You can expect the following working for us:
- Comprehensive training through our online Learning Management System
- Opportunity to pursue on the job qualifications and career progression
- Industry leading systems and technology - we use an amazing apps to support our care at home services and case management systems, which helps us to ensure paperwork is streamlined and as much time as possible is spent with the service user
- Online timesheets and expenses paid weekly
- We are a Living Wage Foundation accredited employer - pay is reviewed annually each April
- Benefits including Bike to Work Scheme and retail discounts
- Employee Assistance programme offering confidential support 24/7/365
- Mileage paid at the national rate
- A warm and friendly team environment where everyone is valued.
One of our core values is that we value diversity and inclusion: exclusion has no place in our workplaces. Please let us know if you need us to make adjustments to allow you to apply for a role or attend an interview with Aberdeen Cyrenians.
If you are care experienced or have lived experience aligned to our area of work, we guarantee you an interview, subject to you meeting the minimum requirements of the role that you are applying for. We are also a Disability Confident employer.
Nothing we achieve would be possible without our employees - that's why we're as committed to their careers and professional development as they are.
You can find out more about us at www.weareac.org.
About Corporate Services
Our Corporate Services team provide back office support - essentially, we are responsible for all of the support services that are actioned behind the scenes, such as HR, Payroll, Finance, HSEQ, IT, Legal, Governance, Fundraising, Supply Chain and Facilities Management. We are a small team of mixed professions who are all dedicated to ensuring that we support the valuable work of our organisation.
We currently have a requirment for an HR Advisor to join us on a fixed term basis for six months whilst we go through a period of organisational change. We're looking for someone who is passionate about recruiting the right people, reaching the right ER outcomes and who has strong relationship management skills and will work hand in glove with our management team to reach the right outcomes for the organisation.
Position: HR Advisor | Corporate Services Team (fixed term)
Hours: Full-time permanent (36.25 hours per week)
Contract: Fixed term for six months
Location: Bridge of Don, Aberdeen and occasional travel within the city in the fulfillment of your duties (remote working at present in line with COVID guidance)
Salary: SCP 39 - 41 | Currently £33,083 - £34,773.
Closing Date: Friday 21st January 2022 at 5pm
About the Job
Aberdeen Cyrenians is recruiting for an experienced People/HR Advisor to help us to nurture, improve and scale everything People. We are growing steadily, which means that the focus and responsibilities of this role are exciting and our ability to attract, engage, develop and retain a fantastic team who share and live our values will be key to our continued success.
You will be an integral part of our management team, reporting to the Support Services Lead. You will work and engage with everyone across the organisation to help us continually grow, learn and evolve.
About the Team
You will be joining our small and friendly Corporate Services Team, based at our Bridge of Don office. The position is a stand alone role with HR Admin support.
Here’s some of the things that you will be working on:
- Build: help us to devise, develop and deliver a people strategy that will enable us to scale successfully and in a way that authentically aligns with our values. This will include everything from onboarding to engagement, recruitment to performance reviews, recognition to offboarding and everything in between.
- Empower: be an everyday ambassador for our culture. Helping to create an environment where people live our values.
- Attract: refine and strengthen our hiring practice. Help us to further develop our talent processes so that they reflect the organisation and candidates can ‘feel’ what we are all about.
- Nurture: ensure that our culture and colleagues have everything that they need to thrive – mentally, physically, financially and socially.
- Evaluate: use our people software to develop reports, analytics and key performance indicators.
- Reflect: review our current People/HR initiatives, introducing improvements and identifying solutions to existing bottlenecks. Distil feedback, identify recurring themes and prioritise action.
- Shine: help us build our employer brand and further our reputation as a great place to work. Build a sector leading employee experience – the kind that gets referenced as ‘best practice’ and is renowned as an amazing place to work, full of incredibly passionate and exceptionally talented people.
You are an experienced HR practitioner who is solutions driven, resourceful and has lots of enthusiasm, passion and determination to succeed. You might have worked in the third sector before, but that isn’t essential! It is however important that you have a strong sense of social justice and be aligned to our ethos and values.
Maybe you have been thinking for a while that there’s more to life than generating profit for shareholders? There definitely is - come help us to make a difference!
Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role, you will enjoy working in a small and supportive team but be comfortable working on your own at times too. You will also need (most!) of the following:
- Passion for helping people – it’s essential that you understand what we are about as an organisation and share our values
- Strong relationship management skills - you will be used to being 'the guide from the side'
- Proven track record in a similar role
- Recognised HR qualification, such as MSc/PGDip HRM, Level 7 CIPD or equivalent professional experience. If you’re not already Chartered MCIPD, we will support you with working towards this
- Strong analytical skills and a methodical way of working – you will be able to interpret data and use it to make decisions
- Good level of I.T. literacy – able to use business applications and HR systems
- Confident with the courage to challenge.
- An understanding of the professional registration and fitness to practice requirements of practitioners in the Social Care/Social Work sectors (Care Inspectorate and SSSC)
- Clean driving licence.
Given the nature of our work with vulnerable adults, all employees of Aberdeen Cyrenians are subject to enhanced disclosure screening. It’s vital to our work that we keep our staff and service users safe, so it is a requirement of employment with us that satisfactory screening and background checks are undertaken.
Right to Work
The successful candidate will be eligible to live and work in the UK. We regret that due to current Home Office rules, we are not able to sponsor candidates for this role.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Aberdeen Cyrenians is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace - a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit. We believe that there is no place for discrimination in the workplace and are firmly committed to ensuring that none exists in our recruitment practices.
Disability Confident Employer
Aberdeen Cyrenians is a Disability Confident employer. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments to allow you to apply for this role or attend an interview with us, please just let us know.