- Marischal College Broad Street Aberdeen, AB10 1AB
- £41,867 - £47,408 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
Before applying for this job, it is important that youread the Applicant Guidance by clicking on this linkand the Job Profile attached.These explain the job role and the type of person we're looking for.
Location: Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen
Duration: Fixed Term , Full Time
job purpose/about the role
The Research Fellow has a critical role in delivering the objectives of the Aberdeen Health Determinants Research Collaborative (AHDRC)
This post is a part of the NIHR Aberdeen Health Determinants Research Collaboration (AHDRC). The NIHR Aberdeen Health Determinants Research Collaboration is funded initially for 5 years by the National Institute for Health and Care Research, with the aim of supporting Aberdeen City Council to develop a research active culture to help improve the health and well-being for Aberdeen’s communities. Lead by Aberdeen City Council, the AHDRC’s key partners are the University of Aberdeen, NHS Grampian, Robert Gordon University.
This post will receive academic support and supervision from the University of Aberdeens’s Health Economics Research Unit and the Health Services Research Unit, and be part of a wider interdisciplinary team who will drive forward the AHDRC’s aims. The NIHR Aberdeen Health Determinants Research Collaboration is funded initially for 5 years by the National Institute for Health and Care Research, with the aim of supporting Aberdeen City Council to develop a research active culture to help improve the health and well-being for Aberdeen’s communities. Lead by Aberdeen City Council, the AHDRC’s key partners are the University of Aberdeen, NHS Grampian, Robert Gordon University. Like the rest of the UK, Aberdeen City faces challenges of economic change, the impacts of climate change, the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and the cost of living crisis. However, we know that the city has the assets and potential to meet the challenges and seize the opportunities that these changes will present. The Aberdeen Health Determinants Research Collaboration will have a crucial role in ensuring that this is underpinned by the use of research and evidence, focussing particularly on improving the city’s health and reducing inequalities.
The post holder needs to hold as a minimum:
Research Fellow (Heath Economics)
- Post Graduate Degree (PhD in Health Economics, or Master’s qualification in Health Economics (or closely related subject) plus relevant work experience in academic or non-academic settings, e.g. NHS, local government, third sector, industry)
The postholder is able to demonstrate:
- Experience in conducting evidence reviews of cost-effectiveness
- Strong quantitative data skills, developed by experience of analysing person-level data on service use and/or health outcomes
- Experience of disseminating research outputs to national and/or international audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Publication record and proven ability to contributing to the production of research outputs
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing time demands
- Ability to interact constructively with a wide range of colleagues (including academic colleagues)
- Ability to communicate information and research findings to diverse audiences (including non-specialists)
- Ability to plan own day-to-day research activity
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary research team
- Good problem-solving and organisational skills
- High levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good IT skills
Desirable/Willingness to develop
- Experience of contributing to research proposals and applications to external bodies
- Teaching experience in relevant research areas
- Experience of local government and community/strategic planning strategic
- Experience of involvement and engagement with patient partners and the public
- Experience of working collaboratively with various stakeholders
- Willingness to undertake administrativeand research support duties
- Experience of using a range of software packages relevant to the conduct of health economics data analysis (e.g. STATA, R)
Willingness to travel to attend meetings with collaborators and relevant stakeholders
Please see Job Profile for further details.
Aberdeen City Council is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We are happy to talk flexible working and offer flexible working for most roles in the organisation meaning that many of our employees enjoy the freedom of choosing a working pattern that suits them as much as it suits the organisation.
We are a Disability Confident Employer. If you consider yourself to have a disability and think you may require a reasonable adjustment to be made for this part of the selection process, or would like further information in relation to reasonable adjustments, please contact AskHR@aberdeencity.gov.uk.
We are a forces-friendly employer, have signedthe Armed Forces Covenant and are a silver award recipient in the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. We have a specific email address for those in the forces, those who have left the forces, as well as their partners / spouses / families: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are able to answer questions about jobs and our application / selection process, as well as about our employee support provisions.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
We have a number of guaranteed interview schemes available to applicants who meet the minimum criteria for our roles and who:
- have a disability
- are care-experienced and aged 16-29
- are aged 16-24 and live in Aberdeen City or have been to an Aberdeen City Council school and are applying for a Modern Apprenticeship (except Trades apprenticeships)
- have done a Foundation Apprenticeship with Aberdeen City Council and are applying for any apprenticeships relevant to the area in which they did their Foundation Apprenticeship
- are New Scots aged 16-24 and are applying for any apprenticeships
Further information can be found at https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/jobs