- St Thomas of Aquins RC High, Chalmers Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9ES
- £22,129.00 - £26,393.00 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Term Time Part Time
- 27.5 hours per week
This position has expired.
Communities and Families
Pupil Support Officer - Fixed term until 25th November 2022
St Thomas of Aquin's RC High School
Salary: £22,129 - £26,393 (pro rata for part-time and sessional)
Hours: 27.5 per week (term-time only 39 weeks)
As a member of the school team, pupil support officers play a key role in supporting the assessment, planning and direct support of children and young people in relation to relationships and emotional health and wellbeing. These additional support needs may or may not be associated with or in addition to other identified additional support needs.
The role works closely with teaching and other staff and internal/external Council agencies and professionals to promote the cohesive planning and delivery of the full range of educational, behavioural, emotional wellbeing, and care support services to ensure children and young people can enjoy and access their learning in an inclusive, safe and caring setting and are provided with every opportunity to reach their potential. The provision of appropriate and timely supports should allow identified learners to positively and fully participate in school life.
As part of the Wellbeing Academy for Emotional Health and Wellbeing the post holder will work with individual pupils, including those experiencing complex social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, whose behaviour means that they finding it more challenging to be in the classroom.
The post will require:
• Knowledge and skills equivalent to SVQ level 3 or HNC in relevant subjects e.g. child development nursing, psychology, social care, education or community /youth work, support for learning; emotional and behaviour support or substantial evidence of proactive and ongoing professional development in support for learning to the required level.
• Proven experience working/engaging effectively with children and young people with complex needs/behaviours in small groups or through individual targeted work with a focus on maintaining positive relationships, maximising engagement and adopting a child centred approach to learning and personal development
• Experience of working collaboratively with a wide range of other staff and professional agencies along with effective communication skills across arrange of working contexts adopting a child centred approach
• An ability and openness to learning and adopting new skills.
• The post is subject to PVG scheme membership
• Where working in an Early Years setting the post must either be registered with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) prior to appointment or register within 6 months of the date of appointment and maintain registration throughout the period of employment.
For more information about the school, please visit the website https://www.st-thomas-of-aquins.org.uk/ or call 0131 229 8734.
This post is considered regulated work with vulnerable children and/or Protected Adults under the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) act 2007. Preferred candidates will be required to join the PVG Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update check prior to a formal offer of employment being made by City of Edinburgh Council.
Our salary range typically reflects the initial starting salary and annually increases until it reaches the top of the range. For roles in grade 5 or above, annual increments in our contribution zones are dependent on achieving agreed performance goals.
Follow us on Twitter at @edincounciljobs