- Council Headquarters,English Street, DG1 2DD
- £39,285 - £42,345 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36 hours per week
This position has expired.
Solicitor (2) (Fixed Term)
£39,285 - £42,345
The Legal Services Team sits within the Council’s Communities Directorate’s Governance and Assurance Service. The team deals with a diverse and complex range of work reflecting the variety of issues for which the Council has responsibility, ensuring that at all times the Council operates in accordance with the law in an increasing complex statutory and regulatory environment.
We are looking to recruit two temporary Solicitors for a period of up to 24 months, to work primarily on our Finance, Procurement and Transformation Review Project, implementing recommendations from a Report arising from our recent Elected Members Review of Internal Procedures and Procurement Standing Orders, including both Procurement and Governance/Assurance aspects of contracting activity by the Council. You will provide specialist legal advice and input on all areas of Contracts and Procurement law and drafting, assisting especially with the new contract register, contract template development and contract management input.
The posts will work alongside the in-house Legal Services Team, Procurement professionals and any appointed external Legal firms under the supervision of the Legal and Licensing Manager. We therefore have a business need in the areas of Contract, Procurement, Project work and their associated governance processes. Construction law experience would also be of interest. We would be pleased to hear from anyone with strong technical skills, enthusiasm, and experience in these areas.
This presents a unique opportunity for undertaking interesting development work, during a transitional phase for an authority that has a large case load of procurement work.
For the purposes of these posts, and the nature of the project, fulltime working entirely remotely with very limited occasional travel to Dumfries is envisaged.
We are an organisation with a strong technological focus transforming the way we work to serve our Communities in Dumfries & Galloway and collaborating closely with Partner Agencies and the Third Sector. The work we undertake is varied, sometimes complex and often interesting.
You will be admitted as a Solicitor by the Law Society of Scotland, hold a current unrestricted Practising Certificate, and have a reasonable or a substantial level of post-qualifying experience in dealing with Contracts and Procurement matters preferably in a Public Sector context. Experience of construction law standard forms would also be of interest.
- Communication skills - oral and written, research/analytical skills, ability to work using initiative, IT literate, time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a Team.
- Self-confident and self-motivated.
- Experience in a legal environment - ability to manage varied workload.
- Able to form productive working relationships with various Council officials, Elected members, and External Solicitors.
- Capacity to make decisions under pressure.
- Appreciation, acceptance of and a commitment to the importance of confidentiality.
- Willingness to accept direction/delegation.
- Ability to work flexibly to meet the needs and demands of the service.
- Ability to work from home and to take part in secure VC and telephone conference calls as necessary.
Given the nature of these posts and the Project, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss the roles further with the prospective candidates prior to close of the applications period if they wish.
These post’s are fixed term for up to 24 months.
This post may be suitable for attachment. Agreement from your line manager must be sought before applying for this post.
Closing date: 8 September 2021
For further information on the role please contact Robin Fletcher, Legal & Licensing Manager– Tel 07931436422 or Robin.fletcher