Glasgow Life is the charity providing the support, inspiration and opportunity for Glasgow’s citizens to access the services that matter most to them. Working across museums, the arts, music, sport, world-class events, festivals, libraries, community facilities, and physical activity, learning and heritage programmes; the scale and reach of our activity makes a real and positive impact on the lives of Glasgow’s residents and creates unforgettable experiences for our visitors.
We are recruiting a Manager, Event Development (temporary) to join our 3,000 strong team of dedicated staff and volunteers. The purpose of the role is to attract, manage and develop events and programmes of activity, through investment, partnerships and collaborations that generate significant economic, marketing, socio-cultural and strategic benefits for Glasgow.
The primary focus of the role will be to project manage European Capital of Sport 2023 by working with Glasgow Life’s sports team to bring together Glasgow Life’s services, Glasgow City Council family and stakeholders to co-ordinate, manage and promote a programme of events and activities that will maximise the profile and impact for Glasgow as host. This is the primary focus of the role.
The post-holder will also work with the broader events team to attract, manage, and develop events and initiatives, through investment, partnerships, and collaborations, to maximise economic, marketing, socio-cultural benefits for Glasgow.
To be successful in this role you have the following skills and experience:
• Degree level education in Arts, Business, Sport, Tourism, Event Management or related discipline (or equivalent relevant experience)
• Knowledge of the national and international events, sport or cultural landscape
• Strong analytical, strategic thinking and planning skills.
• Highly developed project management skills with the ability to manage multiple and competing priorities within budget
• Understanding of legal, compliance and contractual requirements in relation to events and/ or partnership management.
• Knowledge and understanding of the economic, marketing, sporting and socio-cultural benefits events can deliver
• Well-developed understanding of Local Government’s role in events and of the benefits events provide to the community as a whole.
• Strong interpersonal and networking skills with the proven ability to build and manage relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
• Superior written and oral communication skills including public speaking and the creation and delivery of presentations.
• Ability to recognise and deal with politically sensitive and confidential issues.
• Experience engaging with and influencing a range of stakeholders at all levels
• Experience in engaging with and managing contractors and specialists
We believe in the transformational power of the services we provide for the citizens and visitors of Glasgow, and if you want to be a part of it, we’d love to hear from you.
In return we can offer a generous holiday allowance of 29 days (rising to 34 days after 5 years), plus 6.5 public holidays. You will also be eligible to join the Strathclyde pension fund, one of the largest local authority pension providers in the UK. Additional staff benefits include staff discounts, annual leave purchase scheme, flexible retirement and family friendly policies.
At Glasgow Life we value diversity and inclusion. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from BAME groups who are currently under represented in our organisation.
Only existing employees of Glasgow Life can apply for this vacancy.
This post is temporary for a period up to 31st March 2024.
At the end of the temporary period, eligible employees will have a right to return to a role of their substantive grade within the council family as a minimum. Employees are required to inform their current manager prior to submitting an application.
Alternative Application Packs can be requested in other formats for example, Large Print, Braille, Audio and other languages. To request an alternative Application Pack please phone 0141 287 1054.
Packs will be posted out to you within 3 working days of receiving your telephone request.
Please note the closing date of the job advert to ensure that you give yourself plenty of time to complete your application form and return it to us.
For further information about working for us please refer to our website https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/work-with-us