- Stobhill Depot 40a Stobhill Road, EH22 4NU
- £26,918 - £28,853 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36 hours per week
This position has expired.
Main duties will include the direction and supervision of staff on a day to day basis to undertake maintenance of amenity areas in Midlothian, including grass areas, shrub beds, floral displays, tree works and sports facilities throughout Midlothian. Also small hard and soft landscaping projects.
With minimal supervision, you will apply a full range of horticultural and/or arboricultural skills in performance of the duties of the post. Job holder will be expected to deal independently with any routine or predictable problems.
SVQ level 2 or similar in Horticulture or Hard Landscaping, along with a wide range of experience in horticulture, and experience of managing staff is essential. PA1 & PA6 Weedkilling Certificates are also essential.
A training or instructional techniques certification would be desirable along with operational qualification for pedestrian mower, ride-ons and tractors.
To maintain the Councils landscaped property by supervising designated landscaping staff and undertake associated administrative duties.
Be responsible for designated resources, including vehicles, plant, machinery, depots, sports facilities and arboriculture.
- Supervision and direction of staff on a day to day basis.
- Routine administration including scheduling of work, checking time sheets and costing sheets.
- Ensuring that vehicles and machinery are allocated properly and liasing with the Transport section regarding servicing and repair of vehicles and machinery.
- Responsible for ensuring that safe working practices are carried out at all times by staff in terms of Health and Safety. Involvement in producing and updating risk assessments.
- Responsible for undertaking minor capital contracts and planning resources.
- Responsible for collecting materials from contract stores and requisitioning and allocation of materials to specific jobs.
- Responsible for checking and recording time keeping, accident and incident forms. Providing the safety Officer with information related to accidents and incidents, which occur.
- Responsible for the upkeep of sports facilities and line marking.
- Responsible for the training of staff in carrying out their work to SVQ standard.
- Responsible for routine maintenance of grass, shrubs, floral displays, arboricultural tasks and open space maintenance.
- Use of email and updating of computer records.
- Liaison with customers and estimations of hours to price small works.
- Personnel matters such as interviewing and appointing temporary staff and counselling staff where standards are not achieved.
- Carry out inspection of work undertaken by landscaping staff ensuring it meets standards / specifications, demonstrates best value objectives and fulfils contract specification
Position Title: Foreperson
Position Number: LG01
Location: Stobhill Depot
Hours of Work: Average of 36 Hours per Week
The standard working hours average 36 hours per week, Monday – Thursday 0730 hours to 1615 hours and Friday 0730 hours to 1330 for 32 weeks in the summer and 0800 to 1500 Monday to Thursday and 0800 to 1312 on Friday for 20 weeks in the winter.
Weeks per year: 52
Closing Date: 21 October 2022
Interview Date: WC 31 October 2022
Please note that it is Midlothian Councils policy that successful applicants will be appointed to the first point on the salary scale.
Based on you working an average of 36 hours over 52 weeks per year the minimum actual salary for this position is £24,983.78 per annum. Plus any weekend and/or evening enhancements that may apply to this role.
If you have difficulty applying for this post or accessing attached documents, or if you have a disability and reasonable adjustment is required, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of the Recruitment Team stating the post reference number.
Midlothian Council is currently undergoing a period of transformation, changing and improving the way it delivers services in Midlothian. As a consequence, there are a number of existing employees for whom we are committed to seeking suitable alternative employment within the Council in accordance with our legal obligations. Candidates are advised that, for some vacancies, internal candidates in this situation will be interviewed before the wider selection pool and a slightly longer delay may be experienced before application outcomes can be advised to you. Thank you for your patience in this matter.