- Fair Isle Primary School, Fair Isle, ZE2 9JU
- £56,787 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
This position has expired.
Head Teacher – Fair Isle Primary School
- Full-time, permanent position
- 35 hours per week
- £56,787 per year, inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £2,265 per annum.
- Closing Date: Sunday 29 August 2021
Are you a Head Teacher or aspiring Head Teacher looking for an exciting new challenge? Do you dream of being part of a friendly, dynamic island community with a slower pace of life?
We have a once in a lifetime opportunity for an enthusiastic Head Teacher to work in Fair Isle, Britain’s most remote inhabited island. Fair Isle is one of the Shetland Islands and lies approximately 25 miles south of the mainland and 25 miles north of North Ronaldsay in Orkney.
Owned by the National Trust for Scotland, it is a beautiful and enchanting place, renowned for its world-famous knitwear and seabirds. With a permanent population of just 60 people, Fair Isle is a close-knit and welcoming community where you can create an idyllic island home.
Fair Isle Primary School is a non-denominational school, which serves pupils from early years through to primary 7. There is currently a total of 3 pupils on the roll. The school is managed by a teaching Head Teacher, supported by a learning support assistant and early years support worker. For more school information, see the Fair Isle Primary School website.
The teaching post is a permanent, full-time position, working 35 hours a week. The grade of this post is Depute Head Teacher and Head Teacher 3 and you must be registered with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS) before starting in post. Preferred candidates will be required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update prior to a formal offer of employment being made.
As well as the relevant qualifications and experience, qualities we are looking for in the successful candidate are: a can-do attitude, vision, energy, initiative, good communication skills and self-discipline.
A relocation package does apply to this post and we will pay interview expenses from within the UK.
This post also attracts a Remote School Allowance.
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Robin Calder, Executive Manager, on 01595 744745 or email email@example.com
To get a flavour of what being a Head Teacher at a small, rural primary school in Shetland is like, watch this video, which features North Roe Primary School in Shetland’s north mainland.
To find out more about Shetland and hear from islanders what it’s like to live and work here, see the Live section of the Shetland.org website.
To find out more about the Shetland Islands Council, see the Shetland.gov website.
- Please note that the Standard for Headship for Teachers applies to individuals taking up their first permanent Head Teacher post from the 01 August 2020 under Section 28 of the Education Scotland Act 2016. However, there are two exceptions in respect of the new Standard for Headship requirement:
- The first applies to any permanent Head Teacher who has been appointed to a position in a school on, or prior, to 1 August 2020.
- The second exemption enables education authorities to appoint a Head Teacher, who has not attained the Standard for Headship, on a temporary basis for a period not exceeding 30 months to enable them to attain the Standard for Headship within this time period.
- We are happy to talk flexible working
Please note that during the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.