- Foula Primary School, Foula, ZE2 9PN
- £61,374 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
This position has expired.
- Full-time - permanent position available - working 35 hours per week
- £61,374 per annum (inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £2,397 per annum and Remote school allowance of £3,237 per annum)
- A relocation package applies to this post
- We will pay interview expenses from within the UK
Are you a Head Teacher or aspiring Head Teacher looking for an exciting new challenge? Do you dream of being part of a friendly, dynamic island community with a slower pace of life?
We have a once in a lifetime opportunity for an enthusiastic Head Teacher to work in Foula. Foula lies approximately 16 miles west of mainland Shetland. With an area of 4.9 sq. mi, it is the seventh largest and most westerly of the Shetland Islands. With a permanent population of just 28 people, Foula is a welcoming community where you can create an idyllic island home. A rented three bedroomed house is made available to the Head Teacher.
Foula Primary School is a non-denominational school, which serves pupils from early years through to primary 7. There is currently a total of 4 pupils on the primary roll and one in the nursery. The school is managed by a teaching Head Teacher, who is also the ELC Manager.
The Head Teacher is supported by an ELC practitioner, art instructor, IT instructor and school administrator through a variety of part time hours. Management time for the Head Teacher is provided by visiting supply staff.
The school, built in 1992, consists of one light and airy main classroom, a nursery room, an office, kitchen facilities and the large community hall. The school has a large and colourful outdoor space including the community playground, a solar panel array (part of the island renewable electricity scheme). The school also has a Poly-crub (polytunnel) funded by the Climate Challenge Fund (CCF) for the school and our community to share.
Candidates should detail in their application whether they currently hold registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS). If not, candidates should detail in their application whether they have sought confirmation that they will be able to be registered with the GTCS.
As well as the relevant qualifications, registration experience, and qualities we are looking for in the successful candidate are: a can-do attitude, vision, energy, initiative, good communication skills and self-discipline.
For an informal conversation about this opportunity, please contact: James Johnston, Quality Improvement Officer, 01595744099 email@example.com
- The grade of this post is Depute Head Teacher and Head Teacher Point 3.
- This post attracts Distant Islands Allowance and a Remote School Allowance included in the salary advertised.
- Rented housing is available with this post.
- Please note that the Standard for Headship for Teachers applies to individuals taking up their first permanent Head Teacher post from the 01 August 2020 under Section 28 of the Education Scotland Act 2016. However, there are two exceptions in respect of the new Standard for Headship requirement:
- The first applies to any permanent Head Teacher who has been appointed to a position in a school on, or prior, to 1 August 2020.
- The second exemption enables education authorities to appoint a Head Teacher, who has not attained the Standard for Headship, on a temporary basis for a period not exceeding 30 months to enable them to attain the Standard for Headship within this time period.
- We are happy to talk flexible working
- Please note that during the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
Find out more about:
Please see the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement, specifically:
- Job Profile and Person Specification – this outlines the role in more detail as well as the Person Specification which shows the attributes of the candidate we are looking for. Please refer to this document closely when you apply.
- Employee Benefits – this shows all the benefits of working at the Council – such as: shopping discounts and access to a free 24/7 Care First Employee Assistance Programme.
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.