- Ollaberry Primary School, Ollaberry, ZE2 9RT
- £56,787 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
This position has expired.
Head Teacher – Ollaberry Primary School
- Full-time, permanent position
- 35 hours per week
- £56,787 per year
Shetland is an archipelago in north of the British Isles where you’ll find freedom, wildlife and wild beauty, but also a rich culture and a dynamic, forward-looking society. The islands have a thriving and diverse economy full of opportunities and offer residents the ideal work/life balance. Shetland combines stunning coastal landscapes and wide open spaces with friendly, bustling island communities. With abundant leisure, sports and creative pursuits to get involved in, you’ll never grow bored living in Shetland.
Shetland Islands Council is the islands’ biggest employer and offers a range of roles in every part of the isles, all with a chance to make a real impact on the community.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Head Teacher to work in Ollaberry, a village in the north mainland. It’s a beautiful part of Shetland, renowned for its spectacular coastline with rugged sea stacks, cliffs, waterfalls, deserted beaches and boasts Shetland's highest point, Ronas Hill.
Ollaberry School serves the rural communities of Ollaberry and the surrounding districts, including Gluss to the south, Collafirth to the north and Ronas Voe to the west. The structure of the school is two composite primary classes P1-4 and P5-7. There is currently a total of 20 pupils on the roll. The school is managed by a teaching Head Teacher. The current staffing complement is 2 teachers assisted by support staff as required to meet school demands. Further information can be found on the school’s website.
The teaching post is a permanent, full-time position, working 35 hours a week. The grade of this post is Depute Head Teacher and Head Teacher 3 and you must be registered with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS) before starting in post. Preferred candidates will be required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update prior to a formal offer of employment being made.
As well as the relevant qualifications and experience, qualities we are looking for in the successful candidate are: a can-do attitude, vision, energy, initiative, good communication skills and self-discipline.
Note: a relocation package does apply to this post and we will pay interview expenses from within the UK.
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Robin Calder, Executive Manager, on 01595 744745 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To get a flavour of what being a Head Teacher at a small, rural primary school in Shetland is like, watch this video, which features nearby North Roe Primary School.
To find out more about Shetland and hear from islanders what it’s like to live and work here, see the Live section of the Shetland.org website.
To find out more about the Shetland Islands Council, see the Shetland.gov website.
- Salary shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £2,265 per annum
- We are happy to talk flexible working
- Please note that the Standard for Headship for Teachers applies to individuals taking up their first permanent Head Teacher post from the 01 August 2020 under Section 28 of the Education Scotland Act 2016. However, there are two exceptions in respect of the new Standard for Headship requirement:
- The first applies to any permanent Head Teacher who has been appointed to a position in a school on, or prior, to 1 August 2020.
- The second exemption enables education authorities to appoint a Head Teacher, who has not attained the Standard for Headship, on a temporary basis for a period not exceeding 30 months to enable them to attain the Standard for Headship within this time period.
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.