Janitor - Anderson High SchoolFavourite
|Closes:||Friday, 26th January 2018|
|Published:||Friday, 12th January 2018|
|Location:||Anderson High School, North Loch Drive, Lerwick|
|Salary:||£20,531.80 - £21,342.68 per year|
|Hours:||37.00 hours per week|
|Position Type:||Full Time|
|Organisation:||Shetland Islands Council|
|Category:||Cleaning and Caretaking|
Under the direction of the Head Janitor, the Janitor will be responsible for:
- The security of the premises and its contents, including the operation of fire and security systems and keyholding responsibilities. This will involve patrolling all areas of the premises and playgrounds.
- The lighting and heating within the premises, including maintenance and operation of heating plant where required, replacing light bulbs and tubes, etc.
- Porterage duties including storekeeping.
- Handyperson duties including carrying out minor repairs to fabric and furnishings within in the buildings. This also includes grass cutting duties and some grounds maintenance. In winter, the gritting and clearing of paths and steps to ensure general safety around the school grounds.
- Undertaking initial checks or inspections and identifying major repair works required and reporting these to the Head Janitor.
- Assisting in school lets, usually outwith normal working hours, and providing necessary equipment (including ICT) and resources as required.
- Assisting in securing the safety, welfare and good conduct of pupils whilst in the school environs particularly prior to the school day during morning mid-day and afternoon breaks and at the end of a school day.
- Undertaking routine and emergency cleaning duties as required within the whole premises including environs and grounds eg., removal of grafitti from walls and doors, accidental spillage etc.
Anderson High School is a six year school, serving Lerwick and the surrounding areas, with our associated primary schools of Bells Brae, Hamnavoe, Nesting, Scalloway, Sound, Tingwall and Whiteness. In addition, pupils from the small islands of Fair Isle, Foula and Fetlar attend the school for up to six years. The school also serves all pupils in Shetland for S5 and S6, except for those attending Brae High School. There are extensive transport arrangements into Lerwick, and Halls of Residence accommodation for those pupils unable to travel each day.
In September 2016, 910 pupils were enrolled at Anderson High School. There were 68.24 full‐time equivalent teachers with 11.19 teachers of Additional Support Needs, based at Anderson High, supporting pupils from across Shetland. The Head Teacher is Ms Valerie Nicolson and further information about the school can be found at http://www.anderson.shetland.sch.uk/joomla/.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
Please follow the link(s) below for further information -
- The grade of this post is F
- Salary shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £2,094 per annum
- Permanent Full Time post for 37.0 Hours per Week hours per week, 52.18 weeks per year
- Preferred candidates will be required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update prior to a formal offer of employment being made
- A relocation package does not apply to this post
- We will pay interview expenses from within Shetland
- The successful candidate will be subject to satisfactory Pre-Employment Medical screening with our Occupational Health provider
- Not suitable for Job Share
- Not suitable for Remote Working
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
This post is based at Anderson High School, Lerwick
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Valerie Nicolson, Head Teacher, on 01595 808008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.