- St Sunniva Street, Lerwick, ZE1 0HL
- £31,762.34 - £33,055.88 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
Outdoor Education Worker – Sport and Leisure
£31,762.34 - £33,055.88 per annum pro rata (Grade I) inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance. This is a full-time, 37hpw post.
A relocation package applies to this post and we will pay interview expenses from within the UK.
Are you an ambitious outdoor education professional looking for both a fresh career challenge, and a better quality of life? If so, here at Shetland Islands Council we have a job for someone just like you.
Shetland’s spectacular landscapes and coastal waters make the islands an exceptional place to live and work.
As Outdoor Education Worker you will:
- Support the delivery and development of an outdoor education service for the people of Shetland.
- Work with colleagues, other Council Services and partner agencies to provide a customer focused efficient and effective delivery of services in accordance with the Council’s values, objectives, targets and statutory obligations
- Deliver a wide range of educational outdoor activities and experiences for a variety of different groups in line with operational procedures and the Council’s strategic plans
- Support the ongoing delivery of the Curriculum for Excellence and Youth Achievement Programme for young people in Shetland, e.g. John Muir Award, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award etc
As an Outdoor Education Worker for Shetland Islands Council you will benefit from:
- Excellent Salary and Conditions
- Distant islands allowance
- A comprehensive relocation package
- A varied workload and career development opportunities
- A chance to work across the isles
- A stress-free commute to work
- An exceptional work/life balance
Information about Shetland
Shetland is an archipelago in the north of the British Isles where you'll find freedom, wildlife and wild beauty, but also a rich culture and dynamic, forward-looking society. The Islands have a thriving and diverse economy full of opportunities and offer residents the ideal work/life balance. Shetland combines stunning coastal landscapes and wide open spaces with friendly, bustling island communities. Factor in Shetland's impressive modern amenities, highly regarded schools and the Islands offer a work life balance rarely found elsewhere.
Find out more about:
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
- The grade of this post is I
- Salary shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £2,397 per annum (pro rata)
- Permanent Full Time post for 37.0 Hours per Week , 52.18 weeks per year . As an Outdoor Education Worker you will work on an annualised hours basis for 1930.6 hours per annum. Your pay will be based on 37hpw for 52.18 weeks per year, although you will not necessary always work these standard hours per week. Instead you may be required to work more than 37 hours per week during the main periods of activity (as required by the service) and consequently work less hours per week during the winter months when weather conditions are less favourable. You will be provided with a programme of activities for the year to reflect the service requirements in terms of this.
- Preferred candidates will be required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update prior to a formal offer of employment being made
- You must have a full UK Driving Licence and the ability to travel throughout Shetland at short notice and where public transport is limited
- We are happy to talk flexible working
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
This post is based at St Sunniva Outdoor Education Base, Lerwick, Shetland.
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Pete Richardson, Outdoor Education Officer, Telephone 07833298221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.