- Various Locations in Shetland, ZE1 000
- £12.79 - £14.83 per hour
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Part Time
- 20 hours per week
This position has expired.
Children and Young People’s Residential Care is part of Children’s Social Work, within the Children’s Services Directorate of the Council. The aim of this service is to provide a nurturing and safe environment for children and young people, giving security, valuing each individual and supporting them to grow, both physically and emotionally, to overcome adversity and realise their potential.
Residential care for children and young people is a unique, complex and challenging area of work, and requires a compassionate and competent staff team to meet the individual needs of children and young people who have experienced trauma in their lives.
The Council currently has various residential childcare settings throughout Shetland, providing support on a 1:1 basis, where staff will be lone working, as well as settings where children and young people share living accommodation. ‘Throughcare and Aftercare’ is also part of the service provided for young people as they move on from residential care, providing a high level of support and guidance to young people as they transition towards independent living, working alongside other agencies to provide a package of care up to the age of twenty six.
In order to provide consistency of care, staff work within a 24hr rota system, 7 days per week. This includes sleeping in overnight and weekend working. A full current driving license is an essential requirement in order to be able to fulfil day to day tasks.
This vacancy is being advertised as a Career Graded post, which is a career development opportunity. This means that the Council is committed to supporting the successful candidate to obtain the necessary skills, abilities and knowledge to become fully competent in the role. Please see the Career Grade document attached to this advert that outlines the entry level requirements for the job and the expected career progression route. The successful candidate will be supported to become fully competent in the role and progress through the career grade. Where there is a requirement to achieve a qualification, this will be fully funded by the Council.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
Please follow the link(s) below for further information -
- The grade of this post is G/H
- This post is career graded - your salary and career progression will depend on your experience and qualifications
- Rate of pay shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £1.1732 per hour
- Permanent Part Time post for 20.0 Hours per Week , 52.18 weeks per year
- Preferred candidates will be required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update prior to a formal offer of employment being made
- The successful candidate will have to complete registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) within 12 months of the agreed start date
- A relocation package does not apply to this post
- We will pay interview expenses from within Shetland
- We are happy to talk flexible working
Ability to travel throughout Shetland where public transport may be limited
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
Children and Young People's Residential Services has properties in Lerwick, Tingwall and Dunrossness.
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Paul Williamson, Team Leader on 01595 745307 or e-mail email@example.com
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.
If you’re a kind, compassionate person who’d like to make a difference to people’s lives, then social care could be the right career for you.