- Port Administration Building, Sella Ness, Shetland, ZE2 9QR
- £50,121.62 - £52,350.76 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 42 hours per week
The Team Leader – Deputy Harbour Master – Marine reports to the Executive Manager - Harbour Master and is a member of the service management team. The Team Leader provides information and advice to the Executive Manager to support service and directorate decision taking and the provision of support to Elected Members in determining the Council’s overall strategic objectives and priorities.
Manage the VTSO and Port Safety Officer teams and the customer focused, efficient and effective delivery of services in accordance with the Council’s values, objectives, targets and statutory obligations.
Provide professional advice to the Executive Manager, Director and Elected Members with respect to the development, planning and delivery of services to ensure the Council fulfils all statutory requirements and implements relevant policies in respect of these services.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
Please follow the link(s) below for further information -
- The grade of this post is L
- Salary shown in the advert is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £2,265 per annum (pro rata) and contracted overtime allowance.
- Temporary Full Time post for 42.0 Hours per Week , 52.18 weeks per year
- Temporary contract for a period of approximately 2 years
- A relocation package does apply to this post
- We will pay interview expenses from within the UK
- You must have the ability to travel throughout Shetland at short notice and where public transport is limited
- We are happy to talk flexible working
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
This post is based at The Port Administration Building, Sella Ness, Shetland
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Greg Maitland, Executive Manager - Harbour Master - 01595 744209 - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.
Specific tasks of the post holder will include:
- Contribute to the development of the Harbour Master & Port Operations strategy and plan
- Contribute to the provision of Best Value through reviews of service objectives, targets and operational delivery methods
- Contribute to the redesign, development and improvement of services to better meet the needs of customers and deliver the priorities and objectives of the Council
- Manage staff to achieve the customer focused, effective and efficient delivery of the service plan, service improvement and outcomes required in accordance with agreed specifications, service standards, performance targets and costs
The successful candidate must: Be educated to Certificate of Competency as Deck Officer Class 1 (Master Mariner) or Harbour Master's qualification or such other qualifications as would satisfy full (AFNI) membership of the Nautical Institute or equivalent.
Have knowledge of ISM Code and relevant legislation.
Have 3 years experience in a relevant area of work; and in addition experience in a maritime environment.
Have the ability to analyse complex information and deal with difficult problems.