- Various Locations across South Lanarkshire
- £27,297.90 - £27,645.15 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
Various locations across South Lanarkshire: Carnwath Depot, Lesmahagow Depot, Canderside Depot (Larkhall), Hawbank Depot (East Kilbride)
Shift Pattern: Week 1: Monday - Thursday 8.00am - 4.15pm, Friday 8.00am - 3.30pm. Week 2: Monday - Thursday 8.00am - 4.15pm, Friday 8.00am - 1.00pm
Community & Enterprise Resources are seeking a skilled road operative Chargehand. You will have experience in a variety of road maintenance and construction tasks e.g. Surfacing, Patching, Drain Laying, Resetting Ironwork, Kerb Laying, Slab and Block Paving and be given the opportunity to be trained to SVQ level 2 in Highway Maintenance.
The successful candidate will be required to participate in an all year round standby rota for which payment of overtime and stand by will be made.
A current full Driving Licence is essential. In particular Applications received from holders of HGV licence will be welcomed with Salary being dependant on Experience and Qualifications.
Experience in a supervisory capacity is also desirable.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Please Apply online
All correspondence will be via your email address registered with myjobscotland.
Foreign Police Check
Candidates should be able to detail any gaps in employment and provide a foreign police check where applicable for any periods living or working abroad.
Equal Opportunities and Armed Forces Community Covenant
South Lanarkshire Council is an Equal Opportunities employer and encourages applications from all members of the community. As a user of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum competency/behaviour requirements for the position.
South Lanarkshire Council is committed to providing support to members of the armed forces, veterans and their families which is set out in the Armed Forces Community Covenant. Veterans are guaranteed an interview who meet the minimum requirements for the position.
- Manage a site including labour, plant, materials and sub contractors.
- Undertake and supervise all aspects of road maintenance, emergency works where applicable i.e. Site Clearance/Earthworks, Fencing/Safety Fencing/Traffic Signs/Roadmarkings, Drainage/Ducting/Brickwork/Blockwork, Roads Construction and Maintenance, Kerbing and Footways.
- Supervise the squads and allocate specific duties to the squad members ensuring that safe working practices are used at all times in accordance with the Safety Management System including:-
- Ensuring that everyone under their supervision are made aware of the safety precautions associated with their type of work and their place of work is safe
- Maintain access and egress from their places of work that are safe and without risk to health
- Ensure that protective clothing and safety equipment is used correctly
- Complying with Method Statements
- Complying with instructions as issued
- Reporting defects, incidents and accidents.
- Complete daily work log, ensuring its accuracy and legibility. Co-operate and assist in quality, productivity and safety site audits.
- Carry out plant checks where appropriate and report any defects. Responsible for the security of the site, vehicles and plant.
- Liaise with Line Manager on all personnel issues.
As an employee of South Lanarkshire Council you would also receive a wide range of benefits including:
• Enrolment in award winning local government pension scheme
• Up to 33 days annual leave
• Public holiday entitlement (up to 10 days)
• Occupational sick pay
• Family friendly policies - flexible working, including consideration of a condensed working weeks e.g 4 day working week, maternity/paternity leave, enhanced leave.
• Employee Discounts – including discounts at the cinema.
• Range of benefits to support you (Cycle to Work Scheme, Physiotherapy, Employee Assistance Program which offers practical and emotional support)