- Various RGU partner locations, AB10 7AQ
- £36,386 - £42,155 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
- Work From Home:
RGU and the Net Zero Technology Centre have partnered to create the National Subsea Centre (NSC), a multi-million-pound Centre of Excellence for Subsea Research and Technology development. The NSC will harness the University’s academic expertise, research capability and facilities to establish a world-class research and development centre focused on tackling the underwater challenges faced by all marine industries tackling sustainable economic development.
We are seeking to employ a highly motivated Research Fellow in the field of modelling, developing, optimising and deploying cyber-physical systems (CPS) for a period of 24 months. You will be part of the National Subsea Centre (NSC), Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.
In this post the appointed Research Fellow will contribute towards enhancing operational characteristics and performance of cyber-physical systems that form part of critical industrial and service infrastructure through providing design, implementation, configuration, monitoring, and maintenance support for a variety of hardware and software deployments within cyber-physical systems with a focus on performance and security.
In addition to the delivery of assigned research projects, it is also expected from the Research Fellow to support the exploitation of new opportunities with the funding bodies and NSC partners.
For informal queries please contact Dr Andrei Petrovski email@example.com
You will be predominately based at the National Subsea Centre at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen. Travel will be required from time to time to visit industrial or academic collaborators to disseminate research.
This is a full time role for a fixed period of 2 years.
This post is subject to a Disclosure Scotland check. For more information visit: https://www.mygov.scot/basic-disclosure/
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
Applicants that will require sponsorship may be considered in line with UKVI sponsorship requirements.
Relocation assistance may be available for this post, subject to conditions.
Employment is conditional on candidates, if deemed necessary, passing a pre-employment medical and undertaking ongoing health surveillance throughout the course of their employment. This is required in order to support our duty of care under health and safety statute and to ensure that the candidates are able to carry out the functions required by the role.
To apply please submit your CV along with a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role against the requirements in the person specification.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Dr Andrei Petrovski
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No supervisory responsibility
PURPOSE OF POST: Assisting the Cyber-Physical System Research Programme
- Propose, develop and utilise a versatile and efficient approach to assuring asset integrity and protection through building, adapting and maintaining cyber-physical systems in the domains of energy generation/distribution, marine environment, manufacturing and transportation.
- Deliver technical projects to address customer requirements and needs for cost-effective, functional, performant cyber system solutions.
- Support effective and timely execution across a portfolio of programmes using agile project management.
- Identify and exploit technology opportunities to enhance existing and emerging cyber solutions.
- Disseminate research outcomes through journal and conference publications, workshops and seminars, as appropriate, to raise the research profile of the National Subsea Centre.
- Liaise with academic and research staff within the NSC and RGU to promote an awareness of research and research methods and to stimulate research activity.
- Supervise relevant staff and research students, as appropriate.
- Assist in developing links with other institutions within appropriate research fields.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested by the line manager and NSC Director.
Qualifications & Professional Memberships:
PhD in Computing or relevant STEM discipline, or close to submission of the thesis.
Knowledge & Skills:
Good understanding, sufficient insight and relevant experience of cyber-physical systems and their operation, control and management.
Excellent communication and time management skills.
Working knowledge/experience of GIS.
Qualifications & Professional Memberships:
Speciality in computer-assisted instrumentation, control or automation systems
Knowledge & skills:
Knowledge and understanding of technical aspects of sensor, networking, IoT technologies and cybersecurity.
Team working and collaboration
Understanding of, and experience in, the use of SCADA, industrial control and automated systems.
Behavior 1: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 2: Analysis and Research - Experience of developing hypotheses and concepts to explain data, events and phenomena, and reporting findings to a wider community
Behaviour 3: Pastoral Care and Welfare - Experience of calming and reassuring those with work/study related problems who may be experiencing distress and dealing with difficult welfare situations or confidential matters
Behaviour 4: Liaison and Networking - Experience of circulating information in an accurate and timely manner, working across team boundaries to build and strengthen working relationships and leading and developing internal networks to pursue a shared interest
Behaviour 5: Initiative and Problem Solving - Experience of using initiative and creativity to resolve problems, identifying practical and suitable solutions.
Behaviour 6: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others