- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £30,000 - £37,000 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
- Work From Home:
The Robert Gordon University and Harper UK are seeking to recruit a KTP Associate to work on a 33-month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) to Design and develop a prototype object detection system (based on a new computer vision algorithm) to control underwater vision systems more effectively under low visibility conditions. This project is an extension of an on-going project on underwater vehicle system.
The position will be based at Harper UK Ltd, an Aberdeenshire-based company that designs and manufactures structural steel for the oil and gas industry. The KTP Associate will work in close partnership with staff from the School of Engineering at Robert Gordon University during the project.
The Knowledge Transfer Partnerships are a UK-wide programme that helps businesses improve their competitiveness and productivity through the better use of knowledge, technology, and skills that reside within the UK Knowledge Base.
A Knowledge Transfer Partnership serves to meet a core strategic need and identify innovative solutions to help that business grow. This 33-month fixed-term post is jointly funded by Innovate UK and Harper UK Ltd. KTP supports partnerships between businesses and universities or research organisations, placing KTP Associates to work on innovative, high-profile projects.
The KTP Associate benefits from a tax-free personal development budget of £2,000 per year (allowing them to participate in courses and professional qualifications) and will be responsible for other budgets, including travel and consumables.
You should possess a background in Mechatronics/Robotics engineering or computer engineering, with a basic understanding of mechanical systems and a good knowledge of subsea and offshore operations and decommissioning. A minimum of MSc degree in a relevant area of study is required, and a PhD degree would be an added advantage.
Additionally, you should have substantial work experience in AI, deep learning, computer vision, SONAR, object detection and classification, Visual Servoing, or related fields.
Excellent communication and collaboration skills are essential along with the ability to transfer knowledge and skills to others, and work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. You should be motivated, innovative, and enthusiastic about the project, demonstrating a proactive approach to problem-solving and a creative mindset to develop new approaches.
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision is crucial, while also being a great team player and collaborating effectively with others. A strong commitment to delivering high-quality results and meeting project objectives is essential.
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Prof. James Njuguna, firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. +44 (0) 1224 262304.
RESPONSIBLE TO: When working at Harper premises, the KTP Associate will report to and take direction from Mr David Duncan and when working at Robert Gordon University report to and take direction from Prof James Njuguna.
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No supervisory responsibilities.
PURPOSE OF POST: To design and develop a prototype object detection system (based on new computer vision algorithm) to control underwater vision system more effectively under low visibility conditions.
• To develop conceptual design of the proposed computer vision system
• To define prototype engineering design specifications and final design model selection
• To define engineering design specifications for the new software and develop/integrate the programming code framework
• Test and evaluate the scaled model followed by optimisation and refinements
• To develop the business plan for the full-scale model
• Deliver the project objectives as detailed in the KTP project proposal.
• Undertake in-depth literature review in the area of machine learning, image processing and video analysis with emphasis on users identification using Face Recognition, Keystroke Classification or other biometric methods.
• Explore, understand and critically evaluate existing technologies at Atlas Knowledge.
• Take a leading role in developing and evaluating authentication models.
• Maintain an up-to-date project plan and provide a progress report for presentation at regular Local Management Committee (LMC) meetings.
• Deliver presentations to immediate project team members and technical experts.
• Liaise with Engineers and Technicians to form part of a successful team
• The maintenance of, adherence to and improvement of the company’s quality systems and procedures, including but not restricted to continual ISO9001 compliance.
• Develop support and actively encourage a culture of continual improvement by implementing improvement programmes that involve team members and other employees.
• Foster an open and involving approach with all employees. Encourage and develop team to support delivery of the project goals and objectives
• Any other duties that maybe reasonable, assigned by the Academic Supervisor/ Company Supervisor.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
A minimum of an MSc degree in a relevant area of study (Mechatronics/Robotics Engineering or Computer Engineering)
Understanding of the latest subsea object detection and grasping technologies, including the sensors, algorithms, and software used to detect and grasp subsea objects, Mission specific software code development using Python.
Ability to transfer knowledge and skills to others, as well as the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Substantial work experience in AI, deep learning, computer vision, SONAR, object detection and classification, Visual Serving, or related fields.
Motivated, innovative, and enthusiastic about the project, demonstrating a proactive approach to problem-solving and a creative mindset to develop new approaches.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, while also being a great team player and collaborating effectively with others.
A strong commitment to delivering high-quality results and meeting project objectives.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Knowledge or experience of object detection and AI
Expansion of market knowledge, to pursue new subsea applications, e.g., surveys and inspections.
Application of computer vision and artificial intelligence technologies for underwater object detection and tracking, and their integration with subsea systems and controls.
Experience of liasing with Engineers and Technicians to form part of a successful team
Experience of developing support and actively encouraging a culture of continual improvement by implementing improvement programmes that involve team members and other employees.
Experience of fostering an open and involving approach with all employees. Experience of encouraging and developing a team to support delivery of project goals and objectives
Experience of defending research outcomes at seminars or conferences and be comfortable with communicating results.
£2,000 per year to spend on personal training and development.
Attendance at two residential management training workshops (each of one week’s duration).