- Location: RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- Salary: £18,342.00 - £21,236.00 per year pro rata
- Contract Type: Fixed Term
- Position Type: Casual/Relief
- Hours: 8 hours per week
Applications for this job cannot be made online. Please refer to the advert for further information.
Can you help deliver and develop the Denis Law Legacy Trust’s growing Streetsport project? Our exciting long term strategy is now being rolled out and we want you to be able to say “I played a part”
Working in Aberdeen and the surrounding areas, Streetsport supports and empowers young people to be confident, capable, independent and responsible citizens within their own communities.
Your role will be to lead a team of volunteers in delivering sport and creative activities in targeted areas of Aberdeen. You will have experience of leading activity sessions, the knowledge, experience and communication skills required to work with young people and behaviours that can be challenging, have good basic health and safety knowledge and possess a strong commitment to encouraging and supporting the development of young people, being a role model and providing guidance where possible.
You need to be up-to-date with developments in the field and hold a full driving license. Relevant youth work qualifications and NGB coaching awards are desirable however enthusiasm and motivational skills are a must, as is the ability to relate well to young people from various backgrounds. A history of adapting sessions in diverse environments such as schools, parks, astro pitches, carparks and prisons would also be beneficial. Experience of working in a team along with the ability to use your own initiative is also imperative.
In short, you must have energy and drive and be committed to playing a major role in the running of the Denis Law Legacy Trust’s Streetsport programme and helping young people to thrive.
Salary on appointment is £9.5071 per hour and will rise in annual increments. The working hours of the role are ad hoc, and generally fall during weekday evenings, varying from week to week depending on availability and operational demand. You will be expected to work between 2 and 8 hours per week.
This role involves evening work which can vary but typically the shifts available will be between the hours of 18:30 and 22:00.
This post will be subject to the individual joining the PVG scheme. For more information on this, visit www.mygov.scot/pvg-scheme
To apply please complete the short personal details form and submit your CV along with a covering letter detailing why you are applying for the position.
Closing Date: 17 November 2019
RESPONSIBLE TO: Streetsport Development Officers
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Volunteers and Streetsport participants
PURPOSE OF POST: To ensure Streetsport sessions are run safely and effectively, to provide a rewarding experience for both participants and volunteers and to provide mentoring and guidance to the young people we work with.
• Coaches ensure Streetsport sessions are safe, fun and inclusive environments. They also ensure sessions are youth led and that a variety of activity is provided.
• Coaches must be familiar with the opportunities the Denis Law Legacy Trust can offer young people. They will be able to signpost as well as identify young people that may benefit from our programming.
• Coaches must feedback statistics as well as assist with Denis Law Legacy Trust related research.
• In relation to volunteers, coaches must aid with retention and coordination of both small and large teams of volunteers.
• Coaches must be able to communicate effectively to volunteers, participants and all staff.
• Follow all Health and Safety procedures and guidance and ensure all procedures and policies are being followed at each and every Streetsport session.
• Ensure that all aims and objectives of the Denis Law Legacy Trust are being met.
• Monitor and react accordingly to any challenging situations that may occur at sessions and report to line manager. Be prepared to work with and develop the potential of young people in challenging situations.
• Attend quarterly staff training, wear appropriate Denis Law Legacy Trust uniform at work and carry out any other related duties as required by the Streetsport Development Officers.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Full UK driving license
Knowledge and skills
Motivated by success and high standards
Flexible and willing to travel and work unsociable hours
Willing to accept responsibility and act on own initiative
Commitment to the personal development of young people
Experience of working with young people
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Valid NGB qualifications
NGB Sport Coaching Awards
Child protection workshop
Qualifications in youth work
Sports Coaching Experience
Youth Work Experience
Behaviour 1: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of giving customers a positive and satisfactory service, by providing accurate and up to date knowledge of services available in own and related areas of work
Behaviour 3: Team Work and Motivation - Experience of participating in a team, cooperating and contributing when required
Behaviour 4: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey straightforward information in a clear and accurate manner