- COSLA, Verity House, 19 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, EH12 5BH
- £52,579 - £55,059 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36 hours per week
- Work From Home:
This position has expired.
Contract Duration: This is a fixed term contract for 12 months. The contract may be terminated with one month's notice and may be extended if further resources are made available. The role of this post may change as the work of the National Appropriate Adult Project is reviewed, a matter which the post holder will be expected to be involved in.
Summary of Role (For full details see links to attached documents)
COSLA is the voice of Local Government in Scotland. We provide political leadership on national issues and work with councils to improve local services and strengthen local democracy. The Communities Team’s broad remit is to promote the general wellbeing and safety of communities across Scotland. This is through providing the leadership and securing the policies, powers and resources to enable councils to respond flexibly to local needs in promoting safe, healthy, socially cohesive and active communities. Its range of portfolios include, housing, poverty, employability, gender equality, resilience, community justice and culture. As with other teams in COSLA our job overall purpose is to support members championing councils' vital work and secure the resources and powers they need.
The National Appropriate Adult Coordinator (Policy Manager) is based in the Communities Team and leads on and provides oversight, guidance and support at a national level during the implementation of the statutory Appropriate Adult service. Very good progress has been made in developing this work. It is important to maintain the momentum supporting the broad political, official and professional leadership The successful candidate’s work will include:
- Continuing the development and maintenance of links with local authorities and Appropriate Adult services to promote consistency, quality and sustainability in relation to Appropriate Adult provision across the country
- Supporting the Appropriate Adult national oversight group, helping to structure this group’s agenda and coordinate its actions, ensuring support is provided in its contacts with stakeholders and partners
- Working alongside the Care Inspectorate to help implement the quality assessment framework for local authorities in relation to Appropriate Adult services
- Leading on the development and implementation of a national Appropriate Adult training framework
- Working with Scottish Government officials on the development and implementation of policy initiatives relating to Appropriate Adults
- Managing and working with the Appropriate Adults Policy and Participation Officer who contributes to the overall project’s engagement work with partners and stakeholders
The Communities Team works with senior elected members and in particular with the Community Wellbeing Spokespeople, providing them with secretariat support for their Board as well as assistance and advice in their representative role for Scottish Local Government. The latter includes providing support to the Spokespeople in meetings with Ministers, at public speaking events and at other points within COSLA’s governance structures.
The successful candidate will benefit from a competitive salary, local government pension and standard leave arrangements. COSLA offers a friendly working environment, both based in modern offices at the heart of Edinburgh’s West End. Occasional travel around Scotland is likely to be a feature of this job.
How to apply
Application to this post is online. Completed applications should be returned through MyJobScotland to COSLA by midnight on Sunday 18th December 2022. We intend to complete the shortlisting before the winter recess with interviews to take place over in the early New Year.
Pease click on the links at the bottom of the job advert to download the Role Profile.
For further general information please contact Anil Gupta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The job will be based at COSLA, Verity House, 19 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, although much homeworking continues post pandemic. The post holder will be expected to spend a small proportion of their time working with Scottish Government colleagues mainly based at Victoria Quay, Edinburgh. As this is a national role, flexibility to travel will be required, mostly within Scotland, with some overnight stays possible.
The Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA) situated at Verity House, 19 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh EH12 5BH, telephone 0131 474 9200 where this post will be based. Further information about COSLA can found on the web site at www.cosla.gov.uk