- Location: Heriot Country Kids After School Club (based at Heriot Primary School), EH38 5YE
- Rate: £12.00 per hour pro rata
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Position Type: Term Time Part Time
- Hours: 17 hours per week
This position has expired.
- Heriot Country Kids after school club
- Location: Heriot Primary School, EH38 5YE, Scottish Borders
- 17 hours per week, term-time only
- Monday - Thursday 3-6.30pm
- Friday 1-4pm (optional)
- 3-11 years
Possible option to also run a school holiday club, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, if you wish.
A bit about us
Heriot Country Kids is a registered charity which provides fun, educational after school care to children attending Heriot Primary School, Fountainhall Primary School and Fountainhall Nursery. These settings have a real ‘heart of the community’ feel and our after school club is a big part of that, providing much-valued, high quality childcare to local families.
You’ll be responsible for the care of children aged 3-12 years, providing them with a varied programme of fun, engaging activities and ensuring their safety and wellbeing. Numbers attending the after school club vary each day, up to a maximum of 17 children. We provide a range of activities, from sports and outdoor nature walks, to arts and crafts, cookery and film sessions.
Heriot Country Kids is run by a new and supportive parent committee: you’ll report to our Co-Chairs, and have a playworker reporting to you and working alongside you at every session. You’ll also manage our roster of PVG-checked volunteers, who are on hand to provide back-up at sessions if needed.
A bit about you
We’re looking for an experienced, hands-on childcare professional who can also handle the day-to-day operational running of the club. We’re looking for someone who loves children AND spreadsheets!
The things you’ll do
- Plan and run a programme of fun, engaging activities across the school year, with support from the playworker.
- Develop and maintain relationships with parents and carers, updating them about their child’s day after every session.
- Work closely with Heriot Country Kids committee members, to ensure high levels of quality assurance.
- Manage bookings, staff time sheets and the staff roster, ensuring we have an appropriate number of staff working at all times.
- Manage transport between Fountainhall and Heriot schools for children, as needed.
- Manage one playworker and our roster of back-up volunteers.
- Monitor and respond to any relevant Care Inspectorate guidance (including COVID-19 advice), writing risk assessments and strategies as needed.
- Supply and provide an appropriate snack each day.
- Generally make sure that Heriot Country Kids is always run in a way which would exceed Care Inspectorate regulations.
- Have (or be willing to work towards) a BA Childhood Practice of Level 9 PDA in Childhood Practice, or have/working towards an equivalent childcare qualification that allows you to manage the after school club, as required by the Scottish Social Services Council. Please ask for more details about what childcare qualifications are appropriate, if you're not sure.
- Have experience managing within an after school club or other childcare setting.
- Have a good working knowledge of the Scottish Health and Social Care Standards and the Care Inspectorate’s current COVID-19 guidance in relation to childcare settings.
What you’ll get in return
- £12 per hour - we may consider more for the right candidate
- Overtime pay, as agreed with the committee
- Statutory sick pay
- A commitment to your professional development, through regular training opportunities.
How to apply
Please apply by sending your CV and a short cover letter to Helen Marsden, Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’d like more information about the role or to have an informal discussion about it please email Helen: we’d love to chat to you.
If you’re shortlisted for the role we’ll ask you for references from the last two places you worked, along with a copy of all relevant qualifications. Shortlisted applicants will also need to complete a PVG check.
We’re committed to equality and diversity, and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds who meet the essential criteria.
Please apply immediately, as we’ll be shortlisting and interviewing as suitable applications come in. We may remove this job ad without notice, should we find the person we’re looking for.