- Waverley Gate, Edinburgh, EH1 3EG
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
This position has expired.
A highly rewarding and unique opportunity to lead Scotland’s first development bank and make a real, lasting difference for the people of Scotland.
Scottish National Investment Bank
As Scotland’s development bank we are committed, through our investments, to being a catalyst which builds a fairer, more sustainable and innovative Scotland. The Bank’s role is to invest in exciting businesses, projects and communities to deliver environmental, social and financial returns for the people of Scotland.
As a mission impact investor, the Bank provides patient, long term investment capital to businesses and projects on a commercial basis, that support the delivery of the Bank’s missions, which in turn address the grand challenges faced by Scotland. The Bank’s missions provide a clear long-term strategic direction and focus for its investment activity:
- Net Zero Mission: achieving a just transition to net zero by 2045.
- Place Mission: extending equality of opportunity through improving places by 2040.
- Innovation Mission: harnessing innovation to enable our people to flourish by 2040.
Having already committed over £200m of mission-impact investment to a wide range of Scottish businesses and projects, it has been a successful initial period for the Bank since launch. Our portfolio includes a range of investments across the three missions including in tidal and wind energy, port infrastructure, affordable housing and a number of new and emerging technologies.
The Bank seeks a strong, inspiring executive, highly motivated by the Bank’s purpose, who can guide it towards long-term success and sustainability. Reporting to the Board of Directors and leading a team of 60, the CEO will oversee strategy and operations, leading the organisation to sustainable long-term growth and transformational impact.
- Leadership of the Bank as a key driver and influencer of economic change in Scotland, and in its delivery of the objectives as set out in the Scottish National Investment Bank Act 2020.
- Work with the Bank’s Chief Investment Officer to develop the Bank’s investment and fund-raising strategy to deliver both positive investment performance and mission impact. Identify and scope new opportunities and strategy to help build the Bank’s long-term growth and strength.
- Inspire the Bank team to deliver the Bank’s missions. Instill an inclusive culture of collaboration, passion and purpose; driving performance and accountability.
- Creatively communicate the Bank’s missions, vision and values, and turn these visions into an actionable strategic plan.
- Act as a public, visible advocate for the Bank and proactively build and maintain highly effective relationships with all key stakeholders in the Bank’s ecosystem, including media engagement.
- Work closely with the Bank’s Shareholder to ensure alignment between the Bank’s activity and the mandate Ministers have set for the Bank; Ensure the Bank fulfills its responsibilities as a Scottish Public Sector organisation and personal responsibilities in the role of Accountable Officer.
- In partnership with the Chair of the Bank’s Board, lead the Bank’s relationship with the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government, and build extensive contacts across the business community in Scotland and members of key public bodies.
- Has successfully embedded a positive and engaging culture, and created high performing teams, through values-based leadership.
- Track record of developing strong strategic partnerships and building effective relationships both internally and externally.
- Leader in a commercial FCA regulated environment, ideally with P&L accountability or as a leader in a development bank or impact investment organisation.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of private capital investment including a clear understanding of the governance and operational structures of investment firms, and the relationship between risk and reward across a portfolio of investments.
- Experience in developing third party capital strategies.
- Understanding of the role of development banks and public investment in delivering economic growth and wider impacts with the ability to translate knowledge and understanding of the economy to the Scottish context.
- Political acuity to lead the Bank’s relationships with the Scottish Parliament and Government, working with senior civil servants and senior leaders in the wider public sector.
- Success in building a learning culture and of long-term succession planning for key roles.
Reporting and Accountability
The Chief Executive Officer will report to the Chair of the Board and be accountable to the Board. The role holder will also be the Accountable Officer for the Bank and accountable to the Scottish Government.
It is anticipated that this role will be designated as a Senior Manager Function position when the Bank becomes regulated by the FCA.
Embedding a culture to be proud of, through lived values, is critically important for the Bank as we continue to develop:
- Our missions at the heart of everything we do
- We are passionate and progressive
- Working in partnership towards a fairer, sustainable more innovative Scotland.
Spencer Stuart is acting on behalf of Scottish National Investment Bank on this appointment. If you wish to submit an application for the role, please send an expression of interest and CV to SNIB@SpencerStuart.com.
Closing date for applications will be 8th July 2022.