- Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB
- £34,189 - £39,057 per year
- Contract Type:
- Fixed Term
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
This position has expired.
Before applying for this job, it is important that you read the Applicant Guidance by clicking on this link and the Job Profile attached. These explain the job role and the type of person we're looking for.
Location: Marischal College, Aberdeen
Duration: Full time, permanent
Aberdeen City Council is seeking an enthusiastic and committed individual to contribute to its Environmental Policy team who have responsibility for a wide range of sustainability and environment policy matters (see Job Profile).
The post holder will assist in developing and maintaining a portfolio of environmental work, focusing on biodiversity / natural heritage, including support and advice for the other officers and project teams. The range of work evolves and is currently focused on: biodiversity; ecology; natural heritage; green / blue infrastructure; water environment; impact assessment; and awareness raising. The post holder will also be required to be involved in the wider remit of the team, organisation and city. Opportunities will be driven by a mix of organisational requirements and the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
Enthusiasm for and qualifications / experience in ecology and natural heritage are essential. Understanding of and competence in other areas of the team’s remit, and / or willingness to work towards those, would be an advantage.
The post holder will be required to engage and work in collaborative partnership across the Council, with statutory and non-statutory groups and organisations and the citizens of Aberdeen. The job has been predominantly office-based, with site visits within the city and occasional travel further afield. Flexible working options are available.
Our purpose is to ensure the People and Place of Aberdeen prosper and protect the People and Place of harm.
The post holder needs to hold as a minimum:
Undergraduate Degree (or equivalent) in Environment or a related discipline (e.g. Geography, Resource Management, etc.)
Membership of an appropriate professional body related to the demands of the post (e.g. CIEEM)
The post holder is expected to demonstrate:
- Proactively plan and reactively manage priorities and workloads
- Plan, access, monitor and report on financial and human resources
- Manage constructive relationships and partnerships with colleagues, external bodies, community organisations and the general public
- Attend, advise and support Council Committees and Council, local and national working groups/fora (including statutory groups) as appropriate, in some instances acting in a secretariat or related role
- Mentor, raise awareness and co-ordinate training, ensuring adequate skills and career development and maintenance of statutory skills for the Council (e.g. HRA)
- Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of planning and related strategies, policies, plans and projects thinking up to 30 years ahead
- Develop, analyse and provide expert data, information and advice on planning and related matters, including in support of the determination of all types of planning applications
- Contribute to the development and implementation of related legislation, policies, strategies, plans and projects of other Council services, communities, community planning partners and Scottish / UK Governments
Aberdeen City Council is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We are happy to talk flexible working and offer flexible working for most roles in the organisation meaning that many of our employees enjoy the freedom of choosing a working pattern that suits them as much as it suits the organisation.
We are a Disability Confident Employer. If you consider yourself to have a disability and think you may require a reasonable adjustment to be made for this part of the selection process, or would like further information in relation to reasonable adjustments, please contact AskHR@aberdeencity.gov.uk.
We are a forces-friendly employer, have signed the Armed Forces Covenant and are a silver award recipient in the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. We have a specific email address for those in the forces, those who have left the forces, as well as their partners / spouses / families: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are able to answer questions about jobs and our application / selection process, as well as about our employee support provisions.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
We have a number of guaranteed interview schemes available to applicants who meet the minimum criteria for our roles and who:
- have a disability
- are care-experienced and aged 16-29
- are aged 16-24 and live in Aberdeen City or have been to an Aberdeen City Council school and are applying for a Modern Apprenticeship (except Trades apprenticeships)
- have done a Foundation Apprenticeship with Aberdeen City Council and are applying for any apprenticeships relevant to the area in which they did their Foundation Apprenticeship
- are New Scots aged 16-24 and are applying for any apprenticeships
Further information can be found at https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/jobs"