Working for the Glasgow Family
Our vision is to have a world class city with a thriving, inclusive, economy where everyone can flourish and benefit from the city’s success. Our priority is to reduce inequality across Glasgow by creating inclusive growth - a thriving economy that we can demonstrate benefits the city, its citizens and businesses. This means a growing economy that creates jobs and investment, builds on Glasgow’s position as a world class city, helps us to tackle poverty, tackles poor health in the city and improves our neighbourhoods.
Our Sustainable Future
We are committed to making Glasgow a net-zero carbon, biodiverse, climate-resilient, and healthier city where people and nature can flourish. Glasgow has set an ambitious target of becoming a carbon neutral city by 2030. The Sustainable Glasgow Partnership aims to position Glasgow as a leading city in the development of the green and wider circular economy.
Why Work for Glasgow City Council
As one of Scotland’s largest employers, we offer a wide range of rewarding and challenging jobs and careers across a diverse range of public services, allowing you to make a real contribution to the city, its citizens and businesses.
We recognise the value and importance of our staff across all our teams and strive to be an employer of choice by providing a wide-ranging and generous benefits package as below:
- 26 days (182 hours) paid annual leave, rising to 29 days (203 hours) after 5 years’ service
- 12.5 days (87.5 hours) paid public holidays each year
If you work part-time your annual leave and public holiday entitlement will be based on the number of days you work to give a pro-rata entitlement.
- Enrolment in award winning local government contributory pension scheme
- Employee development and training to support you to feel comfortable and confident in your role, and to support your career development
- Flexible working options, including a range of paid leave provisions to support all our employees balance their work and home life where the position allows
- Occupational Sickness Pay, operating a comprehensive Maximising Attendance Policy which aims to support and help individuals whilst at work, when on sick leave and returning to work. We offer a range of free services and access to agencies established to provide assistance to employees such as our Occupational Health and Physiotherapy service
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - a free, confidential, and independent resource offers confidential and professional counselling, information services, debt management and legal help 24 hours per day, 365 days per year
- Preferential discounts in shops, hotels, restaurants, and other outlets across Glasgow
Glasgow City Council is dedicated to the Health & Wellbeing of its employees. Employees are offered many opportunities to embody a healthy working life with access to a cycle to work scheme, loan bicycle scheme and even a pool bicycle option for business travel, as well as participation in a range of healthy working lives initiatives designed to support you to be your best.
For more information on our benefits read our R&S Guide to Working for Glasgow City Council.
We are an equal opportunities employer and want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the local community we serve. As an equal opportunities employer, our aim is to attract the best possible applicants from the widest possible range of backgrounds.
Glasgow City Council aims to deliver the best for our citizens and provide a wide range of services while maintaining a healthy and prosperous workforce who are at the heart of all we do and will support flexible working requests where suitable for the role and needs of the service.
For more information on working with us, please go to Careers - Glasgow City Council.