Focused on being innovative in the delivery of high quality learning and supporting the needs of young learners, the College is led by Mhairi Harrington who won the TES UK FE Leader of the Year award in 2015 and was recently also awarded an OBE for Services to Education.
With a vibrant, modern and innovative learning environment, the College is well equipped to ensure that students have the best facilities and resources to help develop their learning and skills.
Renowned for its successful collaborations with external partners, the College was also an early adopter and pathfinder for “Foundation Apprenticeships”. The College’s successes include:
• Gaining accreditation for work in Science, Technology, Enterprise and Mathematics (STEM) and signing an innovative partnership with a leading Indonesian college
• Receiving a prestigious “European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM) recognised for Excellence 4-star rating” from Quality Scotland
• International staff and student exchanges in 2015-2016 to Germany, Morocco, France, Netherlands, Romania, Spain, Italy, Turkey, Greece, Sweden, Gran Canaria and Thailand.
• 2015 Winners of the “Best Restaurant in South East Scotland Award” voted for by the Scottish public for the College’s hospitality training facility the “Terrace Restaurant”
• 89.4% of all college students progressed into employment or further study in 2014-2015
• Having secured investment, the college has completed recent extensions to its facilities with a new engineering multi-purpose workshop and a purpose built state of the art fitness suite to complement the existing sports hall. These are supporting the college to extend its curriculum further with programmes in construction, engineering and sports and fitness.
• Most recently receiving a national accolade (National Enterprise Educator Awards) for delivering exceptional enterprise or entrepreneurship education inside or outside the curriculum
• 2016 Education Scotland full review which recognised the effective leadership of the college
The College employs more than 320 staff making it one of the largest employers in the area.
The benefits of working at West Lothian College include:
- Excellent Continuing Professional Development opportunities
- Generous holiday entitlement
- A Career Average Earnings Pension Scheme
- A range of other employee benefits including a Childcare Voucher scheme