- Waverley Court 4 East Market Street, EH8 8BG
- £47,654 - £57,042 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 36 hours per week
- Work From Home:
Transport Manager (Chartered Engineer) - Structures
Salary: £47,654 - £57,042
Hours: 36 per week
A new opportunity has arisen within Roads & Infrastructure, usually based at Waverley Court but currently a hybrid working style between home and the office.
As a result of an internal restructure, an enhanced Structures team has been formed to support the continued asset management of all of the Council’s roads structures assets; including bridges, tunnels, gantries, large culverts and walls. Moving forward, the team will also support wider Council projects such as pier and harbour works, remote footbridges and slope stability issues within the city. The successful candidate will help grow and develop, and then lead the existing core team of 8 staff to meet this challenge.
Our forward-thinking and carbon-conscious team is embracing technologies such as GIS, information modelling, laser scanning, drone surveys, and digital asset management including use of mobile devices. The successful candidate will be able to influence the future direction of this work in conjunction with external consultancies and contractors, whilst in a Client role.
We are seeking a Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer with previous team leader experience. A strong commercial ability is also essential. Due to how the team is embracing new technologies, knowledge of Information Modelling, database design and querying, and/or advanced spreadsheet design would be beneficial alongside a core ability in bridge design and assessment. Your communication skills will be detailed and clear to be able to speak with senior managers and councillors as well as being able to effectively manage and direct the team.
Duties may include the following, or supervision of the following within the team:
- All aspects of civil structures asset management including inspection, assessments, maintenance and design.
- Management of the team’s maintenance budget including regular forecasting.
- Management of the team’s works programme.
- Preparation of NEC4 ECC/ECSC and PSC/PSSC contract documentation.
- Procurement and management of contractors and consultants.
- Drafting technical and non-technical reports.
- Attendance at community and stakeholder meetings.
- Liaison with external bodies such as Network Rail.
- Maintaining bridge records using the team's asset management database, and scheduling and co-ordinating an inspection programme.
- Risk assessments.
- Site Supervision.
- Response to structural emergencies such as collapsed cellars, bridge strikes etc.
- Responding to FOI requests.
- Answering correspondence from the public and internal.
- Undertaking duties under the CDM Regulations.
Full details are included in the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
For more information or if you wish to have a confidential conversation about the post please contact Stephen Knox, Services Manager – Structures and Flood Management, on 07729 640 293 or via LinkedIn. Respectively as this is a permanent post, this is for potential applicants and not recruitment agencies.
We're committed to creating a workplace culture where all our people feel valued, included and able to be their best at work, and we recognise the benefits that a diverse workforce with different values, beliefs, experience, and backgrounds brings to us as an organisation.
Our salary range typically reflects the initial starting salary and annually increases until it reaches the top of the range.
Follow us on Twitter at @edincounciljobs