- Bigga Ferry co Port Admin Building Sella Ness Sullom Voe, ZE2 9QR
- £24,260.93 - £28,817.28 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 42 hours per week
- A trainee Deckhand candidate is employed by the Council and developed to become a qualified seafarer within a specified time.
- Whilst onboard the vessel the trainee Deckhand will continue to undertake tasks under the direction, coaching, and advice of the regular vessel’s crew.
- The trainee Deckhand is not part of the established crew of the vessel until gaining suitable qualifications and experience
This vacancy is being advertised as a Career Graded post, which is a career development opportunity. This means that the Council is committed to supporting the successful candidate to obtain the necessary skills, abilities and knowledge to become fully competent in the role. Please see the Career Grade documentattached to this advert that outlines the entry level requirements for the job and the expected career progression route. The successful candidate will be supported to become fully competent in the role and progress through the career grade. Where there is a requirement to achieve a qualification, this will be fully funded by the Council.
More detail is provided in the Job Profile, Person Specification and Conditions of Service Summary attached to the bottom of this advert.
Please follow the link(s) below for further information -
- The grade of this post is C/F/G
- This post is career graded - your salary and career progression will depend on your experience and qualifications
- Salary shown in the advert is based on 37 hours per week and is inclusive of Distant Islands Allowance of £2,541 per annum (pro rata)
- Permanent Full Time post for 42.0 Hours per Week , 52.18 weeks per year
- A relocation package does not apply to this post
- We will pay interview expenses from within Shetland
- You must have the ability to travel throughout Shetland at short notice and where public transport is limited
- We are happy to talk flexible working
During the application process you are required to give the names of two persons not related to you, who we can contact to provide a reference to support your application.
This post is based on MV Bigga, Gutcher, Yell
For further details relating to this post, please contact: Sheena Summers - 01595744208 - email - email@example.com
If you have a disability which prevents you from applying online, please call 01595 744032.
Information about Shetland
Shetland is an archipelago in the north of the British Isles where you'll find freedom, wildlife and wild beauty, but also a rich culture and dynamic, forward-looking society. The Islands have a thriving and diverse economy full of opportunities and offer residents the ideal work/life balance. Shetland combines stunning coastal landscapes and wide open spaces with friendly, bustling island communities. Factor in Shetland's impressive modern amenities, highly regarded schools and the Islands offer a work life balance rarely found elsewhere.
Find out more about:
Living and working in Shetland: here
The Shetland Islands Council: here