East Lothian Council
Living in East Lothian
East Lothian is one of the most picturesque and popular parts of Scotland
We have great local places and facilities, some of Scotland’s most beautiful beaches and Edinburgh on our doorstep.
Life has more to offer here
Close to the capital but a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of city life, East Lothian has some of the most picturesque villages and tranquil beaches around.
From the bustling towns of Haddington, Dunbar and Musselburgh to the coastal villages of Aberlady and Gullane, whatever you're looking for you'll find it here:
- good transport links make reaching Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland easy
- property prices compare favourably with the nearby capital - making East Lothian popular with commuters and families
- East Lothian's schools are first class - as you would expect from the county in our care
- we have 19 golf courses - many play host to major international tournaments
- our local beaches are a hit with surfers, paddleboarders and swimmers
- Musselburgh Racecourse is popular with both locals and visitors
Our local economy is based on modern industries like chemical research, printing and electronics, as well as tourism.