Forth Valley College
Forth Valley College - Disability Confident Employer
What is the disability symbol?
The symbol is awarded by Jobcentre Plus to recognise employers who have agreed to meet commitments regarding the recruitment, employment, retention and career development of disabled people.
Why is Forth Valley College using the disability symbol?
Forth Valley College is an approved 'Disability Confident' Employer which means we are working wtih the government to remove barriers, increase understanding and ensure that disabled people have the opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations. The symbol helps to make it clear that we welcome applications from disabled people and are positive about their abilities and potential contributions to the College. It also shows existing employees that we value their contribution and will treat them fairly should they become disabled.
Definition of Disability
You are disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.
Forth Valley College Commitments
- When an applicant selects the guaranteed interview scheme all applicants with a disability who meet the minimum criteris for a job vacancy will be invited for interview. This is a guaranteed offer of an interview, but not of a job offer.
- Provide a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process, proactively offering and making reasonable adjustments as required.
- The interview panel will be required to consider the candidate on the basis of their skills and experience, as for other non-disabled candidates. The implications of their disability must not be considered at interview stage, although further clarification can be sought about what reasonable adjustments would need to be made.
- If the disabled candidate is appointable based on their performance at interview, then the implications of their disability can be considered. Under the Equality Act 2010, the college is required to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate a candidate's disability. If unfortunately the adjustments that need to be made were unreasonable, an offer of employment may be withdrawn, however, this would be a last resort.
- Forth Valley College have a fair and consistent shortlisting approach, should there be any inconsistencies or concerns Human Resources will review shortlisting and ensure it is being carried out correctly.
- Should an employee become disabled, the College will make every effort to ensure that they stay in employment.
- The College is fully committed to retaining employees who become disabled. Where appropriate, Occupational Health and Human Resources can be contacted to assist as and when these situations arise.