- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £43,414 - £51,805 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
- Work From Home:
This position has expired.
A highly motivated Business Development Manager, you will specifically focus on developing business opportunities for the university within two or three of the following sectors: Built Environment; Creative Industries; Design; Food & Drink; Health; Professional Services; Tourism; Life Sciences; Science and Technology, Energy.
You'll be responsible for identifying, developing and securing commercial opportunities, supporting strategic projects and building long-term and valuable relationships with customers. You will work closely with a wide range of organisations in the UK and internationally and represent RGU at events and meetings.
You will also work closely with academics across the University to provide industry with demand-led solutions, whilst progressing the commercial interests of the university. Training will be provided if the University sector is unfamiliar.
We expect you to have a successful track record in meeting sales targets and objectives as you will have specific business targets to achieve, along with excellent communication, negotiating and influencing skills.
For informal enquiries please contact Fiona Campbell on 07980 906112.
In keeping with RGU's commitment to work/life balance you may have the opportunity to work from home from time to time in accordance with operational requirements. You will also benefit from a generous pension scheme, 46 days annual leave (including statutory days) an onsite nursery and sports centre, as well as a range of voluntary health and travel benefits.
There will also be a requirement for some evening and weekend work.
Salary on first appointment is normally to the bottom of the scale, although in exceptional circumstances an appointment further up the scale may be considered.
To apply, please submit your CV along with a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role against the requirements set out in the person specification.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Business Development Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No direct reports
PURPOSE OF POST: Develop and build relationships with a wide range of organisations both in the UK and overseas
Work closely with academics from across the University to provide solutions to industry challenges
Work closely with the wider Business and Economic Development team to drive opportunities through the full sales cycle
- Identify, develop and secure commercial opportunities in support of RGU’s strategic sectors (typical RGU services include consultancy; research; training and development; partnerships and knowledge transfer)
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with industry at local, national and international levels
- Support on university strategic projects
- Attend meetings and industry events including conferences, seminars, exhibitions, and evening meetings to promote the profile of the University within a specific sector
- Build up a network of contacts within a specific sector and the ecosystem supporting it
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Educated to at least HND level in a subject relating to the role
Knowledge and skills
- Evidence of understanding of one or more of the followings sectors: Built Environment; Creative Industries; Design; Food & Drink; Health; Professional Services; Tourism; Life Sciences; Science and Technology; Energy
- Deep knowledge and understanding of customer relationship management including an ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships
- Strong commercial understanding necessary to appraise potential opportunities and ensure development activities are focused towards prospects which are viable and attainable
- Knowledge of the full life cycle of an opportunity from lead generation through to award
- Creative approach to the identification of opportunities and envisaging the ways in which they can be developed
- Excellent networking, communication, influencing and negotiation skills
- Ability to get on with people at all levels
- Organised and goal focused to ensure deliverables are prioritised and achieved
- Ability to travel within the UK and internationally as well as a requirement to work occasional unsocial hours.
- Experienced in developing business opportunities
- Successful track record in meeting targets/objectives/KPIs
- Experience of developing and maintaining networks through strong stakeholder networking and relationship building skills
Knowledge of Further/Higher Education
Experience of working with any services that RGU offers: consultancy; research; training and development; partnerships and/ or knowledge transfer
Behaviour 1: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers’ expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards
Behaviour 3: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others
Behaviour 4: Initiative and Problem Solving - Experience of resolving new problems where there is a mass of information or diverse, partial and conflicting data with a range of potential suitable options
Behaviour 5: Planning and Organising Resources - Experience of planning, prioritising and organising the work of yourself and others (within own area) on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, whilst ensuring the effective use of resources
Behaviour 6: Liaison and Networking - Experience of circulating information in an accurate and timely manner, working across team boundaries to build and strengthen working relationships and leading and developing internal networks to pursue a shared interest