- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £45,585 - £54,395 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
- Work From Home:
RGU is looking for a highly motivated Business Development Manager who will specifically focus on developing business opportunities for the University within the Health and Social Care sector, including allied health, nursing, pharmacy, life-sciences, well-being, digital health and social sciences.
You will be responsible for identifying, developing, and securing commercial opportunities, supporting strategic projects, and building long-term and valuable relationships with customers and partners. You will work closely with a number of public-sector and private organisations, based in the UK and globally, and will represent RGU at meetings and events.
We expect you to have a successful track record in meeting sales targets and objectives – a requirement of this role. To achieve this, you will work closely with academics in relevant Schools and other colleagues across the University to provide industry with demand-led solutions, cultivating high-impact opportunities, whilst progressing RGU’s commercial interests.
Training on working in a university will be provided if the candidate does not have prior experience in higher education.
In keeping with RGU's commitment to work/life balance you will have the opportunity to work from home for a portion of the working week (depending on business need) and also benefit from a generous pension scheme, 46 days annual leave (including statutory days) an onsite nursery and sports centre, as well as a range of voluntary health and travel benefits.
For informal enquiries please contact Fiona Campbell on 07980 906112.
Please note, interviews will be held on Friday 15th December.
To apply, please submit your CV along with a covering letter detailing your suitability for the role.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Business Development Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: No direct reports
PURPOSE OF POST: To establish, develop and maintain relationships with public and private sector organisations both in the UK and globally.
Work closely with academics from relevant Schools and other colleagues across the University to provide solutions to industry challenges.
Work closely with colleagues in the Business and Economic Development team to drive opportunities through the full sales cycle.
- Identify, establish, develop, and secure commercial opportunities in support of the Health and Social Care sector (commercial opportunities may include consultancy, research, training and development, partnerships, and knowledge transfer projects)
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with private and public-sector organisations at local, national and international levels
- Support on University strategic projects
- Attend meetings and industry events including conferences, exhibitions, and evening meetings to promote the profile of the University within the Health and Social Care sector
- Contribute to shaping the University’s provision in the Health and Social Care sector
- Build up a network of contacts within the Health and Social Care sector and the ecosystem supporting it
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Educated to at least HND level in a subject relating to the role or equivalent experience
Knowledge and skills
- Evidence of technical understanding and experience within the Health and Social Care sector within at least one of the following – allied health; nursing; pharmacy; life-sciences; well-being; digital health; and social sciences
- Deep knowledge and understanding of customer relationship management including an ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships
- Strong commercial understanding necessary to appraise potential opportunities and ensure development activities are focused towards prospects which are viable and attainable
- Knowledge of the full life cycle of an opportunity from lead generation and/or account growth through to award
- Creative approach to the identification of opportunities and envisaging the ways in which they can be developed
- Ability to implement the University’s sales strategy to reach defined annual goals and targets for both new and existing clients
- Organised and goal focused to ensure deliverables are prioritised and achieved
- Excellent networking, communication, influencing and negotiation skills
- Ability to get on with people at all levels
- Demonstrable ability to work within a fast-changing environment
- Ability to travel within the UK and internationally as well as a requirement to work occasional unsocial hours
- Experience working within the Health and Social Care sector
- Experienced in developing business opportunities through to award
- Successful track record in meeting targets/objectives/KPIs
- Experience of developing and maintaining networks through strong stakeholder networking and relationship building skills
- Proven experience in managing resources, workloads and changing priorities
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Degree in a relevant subject
- Knowledge of Further/Higher Education
- Knowledge of NHS and/or NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
- Awareness of science in a health environment
- Understanding of the complexities and challenges of the Health and Social Care sector
- Experience in services that RGU offers: consultancy; research; training and development; partnerships and/or knowledge transfer
- Experience of Business Development within the NHS and/or within the private Health Care sector
Behaviour 1: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers’ expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards
Behaviour 3: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others
Behaviour 4: Initiative and Problem Solving - Experience of resolving new problems where there is a mass of information or diverse, partial and conflicting data with a range of potential suitable options
Behaviour 5: Planning and Organising Resources - Experience of planning, prioritising and organising the work of yourself and others (within own area) on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, whilst ensuring the effective use of resources
Behaviour 6: Liaison and Networking - Experience of circulating information in an accurate and timely manner, working across team boundaries to build and strengthen working relationships and leading and developing internal networks to pursue a shared interest