Director of Library and Learning Services
- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £73,883 - £101,588 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
- Work From Home:
RGU’s library is central to the University. The new Director will be part of the University Management group and will play a key role in enabling the University achieve its strategic ambition by; advancing the teaching and research provision, creating meaningful and creative learning experiences, forging effective and productive relationships with stakeholders and ensuring students (and staff) achieve the highest standard of information literacy .
You will deliver a compelling strategic vision for the library, implement robust financial planning and facilitate and ensure the highest standards of collections stewardship (including the arts and heritage collection), among a range of other responsibilities. An inspirational and strategic leader, you will be personally committed to the University vison, mission and purpose. You will bring extensive leadership and operational management experience in the academic library and collections sector and be an expert in scholarly communication, open access, and digital support services.
With an in-depth understanding of current issues relating to the Higher Education Sector and Library Services and Collections, you’ll have the ability to plan strategically to address these issues in alignment with the University Strategy. You will be accustomed to working in diverse and innovative workplaces and will have excellent relationship-building, ambassadorial and interpersonal skills, with a track record of successful people management and the ability to motivate and inspire staff.
Please upload a CV and supporting statement explaining your interest in this post and detailing what you would bring to the role and your view of potential future developments for the library.
Informal enquiries should be directed to Professor Nick Fyfe, Vice Principal Research and Community Engagement, email@example.com
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD 3RD JULY 2023
RESPONSIBLE TO: Vice Principal (Research and Community Engagement)
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Content and Systems Team, Academic and Reader Services Team
• To provide strategic direction for the university library staff to ensure delivery of a high quality, high performance service to staff and students.
• Promoting the centrality of the library’s role, which includes responsibility for the RGU art and heritage collections and the university archive, in providing essential support for the enhancement of research, teaching and learning and the student experience
• Exploiting the benefits of the digital information environment and developing new strategies and vision for shaping the physical collection and the facilities. Deliver a high quality library and heritage services to support student success and achievement of university strategic priorities.
• Lead the development and implementation of the Library, RGU Art and Heritage Collections and University Archive Strategic Framework ensuring this reflects university priorities, also changing trends/circumstances in sector.
• Ensuring an affordable and balanced information resource aligned with the programme portfolio and research aspirations.
• Ensure the delivery of library management systems, taking account of relevant framework agreements and shared services supporting more centralised servicing of content to support institutional access to and discovery of an increased resource base and streamlining of local services.
• Facilitate student participation in the development and delivery of library, heritage and cultural activities to inform enhancement, including through student volunteering and work placement.
• Ensure effective management and implementation of projects.
• Deliver best value for RGU through joint procurement of resources via the Scottish Higher Education Digital Library consortium managing risks associated with publisher contracts/ agreement.
• Ensure alignment and to and implementation of appropriate policy and systems; promote awareness to facilitate university Open Access to increase visibility and citation of RGU outputs, also to meet requirements of REF2028 and research funders.
• Participating (and encouraging library participation) in regional, national and international organisations that promote the Library in the wider academic community as a leader in technology and information-related concerns.
• Encouraging and assisting Library staff in the development of grant and contract proposals that advance the mission of the university.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
Educated to degree level or above, holding a relevant qualification
Extensive knowledge of library services and systems
Understanding of publishing (national and international), scholarly communication , copyright, licensing and publisher agreements
Knowledge of developments in technology, learning and resource management and the application thereof
Understanding of HE environment and cultural sectors
Ability to communicate vision, plans, proposals and business propositions to varied audiences inside and outside the university
Ability to lead and motivate other within and outwith area of professional expertise
Ability to deliver successful change programmes, including culture change that enhances the efficiency and quality of services to customers.
Ability to deliver quality services by engaging customers and understanding their requirements
Ability to develop strong working relationships with senior colleagues and foster a collaborative culture through effective team leadership
Ability to build and use networks at a UK, national and regional level to deliver an extensive provision and to maximise the use of these collaborations to further teaching, learning and research
Significant and proven experience of leading, motivating and developing teams
Significant experience in delivering an innovative and customer centred library and information service
Experience of budget management, procurement and contract management, including making budget trade offs that support a customer centred provision
STRATEGIC AWARENESS: Develops strategy, communicates strategy and aligns people and resources to strategy
LEADING CHANGE: Embraces, champions and implements changes
SELF MANAGEMENT: Emotionally intelligent, continually develops and is resilient
RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: Develops relationships, effectively communicates and is inclusive
PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: Sets standards, builds capability and manages performance
DELIVERING RESULTS: Drives for excellence, identifies outcomes and targets, manages resources to deliver