Social Media Manager
- RGU Garthdee, AB10 7GJ
- £33,348 - £36,333 per year
- Contract Type:
- Position Type:
- Full Time
- 35 hours per week
- Work From Home:
Robert Gordon University is a leading, modern, university with an established track record of success in teaching and research, student satisfaction and graduate employability, set amidst one of the most prosperous and beautiful areas of the country.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in leading the University’s social media presence to build RGU’s reputation and engagement with audiences. The role will be responsible for developing and implementing a social media strategy for the University and will lead digital content creation and integrated campaigns that bring the story of RGU to life across a range of social media platforms.
You will be based in a busy and dynamic team and will contribute to the delivery of the University’s integrated corporate communications and marketing strategy. You will bring energy and creativity to translate University priorities, news and achievements into digital content that drives engagement and boosts brand visibility across social media. You will have an eye for what makes an exceptional piece of content and know the importance of getting the detail right to ensure a message lands.
We are seeking an experienced Social Media Manager with proven expertise in leading strategic social media marketing and communications. You will have managed a range of social media platforms for an organisation, developing strategies and campaigns and adapting the approach in line with performance metrics and trends. You will be experienced in creative content development targeted at a range of stakeholders and will have a passion for driving audience engagement and influence.
RGU offers a supportive and flexible working environment. As an RGU employee you will have a range of benefits from the University’s total reward package. These include:
Our staff have excellent benefits including
• Hybrid working pattern
• Flexible working options
• Generous pension scheme
• 36 days paid annual leave (plus closure days at Christmas and local holidays)
• Retail and travel discounts
• On-site reduced cost childcare option
• On-site reduced cost gym membership
RESPONSIBLE TO: Communications Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Social Media Officer
PURPOSE OF POST: Social media is integral to the University’s marketing and communications strategy. The Social Media Manager will strategically develop RGU’s social media profile to contribute to the regional, national and international reputation of the University, increasing brand awareness and building engagement with the University’s audiences online.
• Strategically develop the University’s social media presence, monitoring trends and increasing following and engagement.
• Lead on planning, developing and executing creative and engaging social media content aimed at a range of stakeholders to raise awareness of the impact of the University’s teaching, student experience, research and contribution to economic, cultural and social development. This includes writing, recording and editing material such as short videos and graphics using Adobe products.
• Responsible for the day-to-day management of social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok and YouTube, adapting and scheduling content to suit different channels and audiences and responding to engagements.
• Proactively provide advice, guidance and training for the wider University social media users by building and maintaining a community of content creators and develop processes to coordinate social media activity across the institution.
• Establish a university-wide social media policy and governance framework.
• Work closely with communications and marketing colleagues to integrate organic and paid campaigns, and adapt the approach in line with performance metrics.
• Manage key relationships with wider University colleagues in relation to social media including academic schools, Student Recruitment, Research, Alumni and Business and Economic Development.
• Ensure social media alignment with brand guidelines and key messages as well as wider digital accessibility, copyright and data protection regulations.
• Manage and develop members of the team, specifically the Social Media Officer.
• Create opportunities to collaborate with key stakeholders and influencers across social media platforms to build third party endorsement.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
First degree in a digital media, marketing or communications discipline and/or significant background managing social media communications within a corporate setting.
Knowledge and skills
• Excellent understanding of social media measurement for performance and effectiveness.
• Excellent stakeholder relations capabilities and project management skills.
• Demonstrable experience in the management of social media channels and communications for an organisation.
• Demonstrable experience in the planning and production of creative and engaging social media content.
• Proven high level writing skills and content development for multimedia purposes, and close attention to detail.
• Experience of using a social media management tool such as Hootsuite or Loomly.
• Experience in delivering integrated organic and paid campaigns to support marketing activity.
• Experience of working within a team, including collaborating with others to deliver on departmental priorities.
• Experience in a complex organisation and ability to work across multiple departments.
• Experience of working quickly and accurately with resilience to work well under pressure.
• Experience of prioritising and managing significant workload and meeting deadlines.
• Familiar with graphic design software and experience of working with design agencies to guide the creative process.
• Experience in a media or communications environment within the higher education sector.
• Engagement of a wider network of professionals in creating and implementing new approaches to communications.
Behaviour 1: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey information requiring careful explanation and information of a complex or conceptual nature, in a clear and accurate manner
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of exploring and adapting a service to meet customers’ expectations and also identifying ways of improving standards
Behaviour 3: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others
Behaviour 4: Liaison and Networking - Experience of circulating information in an accurate and timely manner, working across team boundaries to build and strengthen working relationships and leading and developing internal networks to pursue a shared interest
Behaviour 5: Planning and Organising Resources - Experience of planning, prioritising and organising the work of yourself and others (within own area) on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, whilst ensuring the effective use of resources
Behaviour 6: Team Development - Experience of providing advice or guidance to new starts delivering training or instruction to others on specific tasks or activities